The Mission Club

4300 Clubhouse Rd, Lompoc,California,93436
Type: Private
No. Holes: 18
Detailed description

The Mission Club, originally named The Village Country Club, is a Private, 18 hole golf course located in Lompoc, California.

The course first opened for play in July 1962. the course was designed by Ted Robinson.

In 1903 the Union Oil Company purchased a 9,000-acre tract of land originally known as the old Rancho La Purisima. By the late 1950's, growth and construction at Vandenberg Air Force Base created a need for off-base housing. After considerable study, a decision was made to construct a "Village." The Utah Construction and Mining Company established the Vandenberg Village Development Company and made arrangements to purchase land from the Union Oil Company as needed. The Vandenberg Village residential community was built midway between Vandenberg Air Force Base and Lompoc.

Ted Robinson, noted land planner and golf course architect of Rolling Hills, CA, was hired to prepare the layout. Penfield and Smith did the engineering work, and Cox Brothers were contracted to do the utilities, streets, and sidewalks.

Initial construction was started on the south side of the Lompoc-Casmalia (a two-lane road at that time).

Two men played a major role in bringing Village Country Club to this are Arthur Stewart, vice president of Union Oil Company and a member of San Gabriel Country Club, AND Edwin Littlefield, president of Utah Construction. Both were avid golfers.

As new housing expanded, the decision was made to build a golf course. Theodore Robinson designed and supervised the construction of the Village Country Club golf course. His design called for the first tee to be where the 10th tee is currently located. The clubhouse plans prepared in the San Francisco office put the pro shop in its present location, hence the shift of nines. The price of the clubhouse in 1962 was $350,000.

The board of directors of Utah Construction did not want to fully pay for the golf course construction and therefore formed Adobe Canyon Corporation with Union Oil Company. Utah held 51% of the stock and Union Oil 49%. When the course was completed, it was leased to the Vandenberg Development Company to operate.

On July 19, 1962, the course was officially opened. A dedication ceremony was held with several officers of the Utah Mining and Construction flying down from San Francisco, and officers from Union Oil coming in from Los Angeles. Dignitaries from Vandenberg Air Force Base and Lompoc also attended.

Blue tees: par-72, 6,546 yards, 71.5 / 128.

White tees: par-72, 6,264 yards, 70.3 /123.

Red tees: par-72, 5,698 yards, 67.6 / 116(M), 73.0 / 127(W).

Gold tees: par-72, 5,125 yards, 65.0 / 112(M), 69.7 / 117(W).