Peninsula Golf & Country Club, The, is a Private, 18 hole golf course located in San Mateo, California.
The Peninsula Golf and Country Club was founded in 1911 as The Beresford Country Club. Many features of the club grounds were different than they are today.
The Clubhouse in use today was open for members on New Years Eve 1915. The course measured 6012 yards and the only trees of any significance were the eucalyptus that ringed the course and the double row that ran north from the west side of the driving range. There were open creeks that ran from the 15th and 4th holes that joined together near the driving range and from there, ran to the bay.
In 1920, The Beresford Country Club President traveled to Chicago and engaged golf course architect Donald Ross to completely redesign the Beresford course. Ross did travel to California and he completely re-routed the course, designed distinctive bunkering and greens and added 300 yards. Ross attempted to secure other jobs in California but was unsuccessful and today The Peninsula Club remains the only Donald Ross course on the West Coast.
Over the years there have been changes to the Club's grounds, most notably the addition of the front parking lot and moving the main entrance from the north side to the east side to fit with the new parking lot. This move also resulted in the removal of one of the original par three holes designed by Ross.
A total renovation Clubhouse was completed in 1994-1995. An extensive tree-planting program over the years has added many tree varieties to include; redwood, oak and plum to the Club grounds. The course always played firm and fast in the summer, and the poa annua greens are known for their quick speed.
Work on the golf course master plan was begun in 1995. Ron Forse, a noted Donald Ross restoration expert was hired as architect, and an extensive drainage plan was incorporated into the plan. Work began on the back nine in 2001 and on the front nine in April 2002, following the reopening of the renovated back-nine. The full 18 holes opened for play on April 4, 2003.
The golfing Membership of The Peninsula Golf & Country Club is limited to 350 Proprietary Members.
Black tees: par-71, 6,538 yards, course rating 72.2, slope tating 133.
Blue tees: par-71, 6,230 yards, course rating 70.7, slope tating 129.
White tees: par-71, 5,827 yards, course rating 68.8, slope tating 126.
Red tees: par-72, 5,370 yards, course rating 70.8, slope tating 124.