Hinsdale Golf Club is a Private 18 hole golf course located in Clarendon Hills, Illinois, on the Western suburbs of Chicago
In late 1893 or early 1894 more than twenty Hinsdale men, impressed with the newly introduced game of golf, laid out a rudimentary six-hole golf course in a Hinsdale pasture. In late September of 1898, the Hinsdale golfers applied for a charter of incorporation from the State of Illinois. In the certificate submitted, they stated that the Club's purpose would, "promote, foster, and encourage the game of 'golf' and such other athletic social games as its members may desire to engage in."
In 1899, the Club moved from the original course to an eighty acre tract of rolling pasture land. On this parcel of land, the Club built a nine-hole golf course as well as a clubhouse near the southwest corner. The long, narrow golf course was designed by Herbert J. Tweedie. It was expanded to 18 holes in 1901.
By 1909 the Club's landlord decided to subdivide and sell his property for development and terminate his year-to-year lease with the Club. After extensive negotiations, the Club signed a long term lease on a parcel of land immediately to the west of the old club (this is the Club's present location).
Larry and Roger Packard redesigned this course in 1975, followed by Dick Nugent in 1980 and Bob Lohmann in 1990.
Par for the course is 71. From the back tees the course plays to 6,520 yards. From the forward tees the course measures 5,304 yards. The longest hole on the course is # 7, a par-5 that plays to 589 yards. The shortest hole on the course is # 4, a par-3 that plays to 152 yards from the back tees.
Watch out for # 12, a 454 yard par-4 challenge and the #1 handicap hole on the course. The easiest hole is # 4, a 152 yard par-3.
This scenic and traditional course has narrow fairways and small greens. The signature hole is #16, a 215-yard, par 3, because it was modeled after the cartoon character Andy Gimp.