Dupont Employees formed the Penns Grove-Carneys Point Golf Club, leased a tract of land from the DuPont Company, and laid out six holes on what is the site of todayâ€™s course. The course opened for play in July, 1920. Within a few years it was expanded to nine holes.
It was in 1960 that the DuPont Company decided to sell the clubhouse to Salem Community College and to end its formal association with the club. This triggered the dissolution of the DuPont-Penns Grove Country Club and the founding, early in 1961, of a new club. A name was needed. The Lenape Indians had roamed these lands hundreds of years earlier, and it was felt that an Indian name might be appropriate. "Sakima" was chosen; it means "Indian chief."
Today Sakima Country Club owns its clubhouse and pool and the land on which they are situated. The DuPont Company continues to own the land over which the nine holes (3,077 yards, par 36) are routed, and leases this property to the club. The majority of members today are DuPont employees or retirees. In a very real sense, then, the partnership between club and company, which can fairly be said to date back more than 80 years, is still ongoing.
Thecourse's small greens are well-bunkered, plus its terrain is flat and easy to walk. There are additional sets of tees that can be used when playing an eighteen hole round. The course was designed by Charles Willard.
Sakima Golf Course is the home for the Salem Community College Golf Team.