New York/New City/
Paramount Country Club, Dellwood Country Club
logo image

Paramount Country Club, Dellwood Country Club

60 Zukor Rd, New City,New York,10956
Type: Private
No. Holes: 18
Detailed description

Paramount Country Club, previously named Dellwood Country Club is a Private, 18 hole golf course located in New City , New York.

Dellwood Country Club first opened for play in 1920. The course was designed by A. W. Tillinghast. William F. Mitchell redesigned the course in 1951, followed by Robert Trent Jones in 1956 and Mark Mungeam in 1997. The 2011 rennovation back to the original Tillinghast design is being handled by Jim Urbina. Commenting on the restoration, Urbina said, "Over time, courses don't expand. Tees, greens, bunkers, fairways-everything gets smaller. I want to bring back the expanse, the broad views and beauty that original owner Adolph Zukor and A.W. Tillinghast once saw."

The layout is set in the mountains and plays up and down the hills. The fairways are spacious, and the greens are small and fast. This is a challenging and scenic course. Only one small pond comes into play on the course.

Par for the course is 71. From the back tees the course plays to 6,767 yards. From the forward tees the course measures 5,551 yards. The longest hole on the course is # 2, a par-5 that plays to 586 yards. The shortest hole on the course is # 3, a par-3 that plays to 134 yards from the back tees.

Watch out for # 1, a 372 yard par-4 challenge and the #1 handicap hole on the course. The easiest hole at Paramount Country Club is # 3, the 134 yard par-3.

The club has a vibrant history, dating back to its days as the weekend property of movie mogul and Paramount Pictures founder Zukor, who used it to entertain the great celebrities of the 1920s. In fact, it was Thomas A. Edison who introduced Zukor to Tillinghast, one of the leading architects of golf's "golden era."

The golf course has been changed over the decades by the effects of nature and 90 years of play: Urbina and the new owners are dedicated to bringing the course back to Tillinghast's original vision, including the incorporation of some long-lost and rarely seen architectural elements. The restoration will be accomplished in segments, starting in the spring of 2011, and the course will remain open for play during the process.