Port Jervis Country Club first opened for play in 1915 as a 9-hole course. The golf course was incoroporated in 1920 and in 1921 the legendary A.W. Tillinghast, who is known as the father of the golf course architecture, redesigned the nine holes.
The 18-hole "Port Jervis" course at the Port Jervis Country Club facility in Port Jervis, New York features 6,093 yards of golf from the longest tees for a par of 70. The course rating is 69.3 and it has a slope rating of 121.
The greens are small. There is water that comes into play on six holes. The men's regular tee does not have a course rating. In the early 1960's member Fred Conrad engineered the construction of the next nine holes with the help of Harry Spears as construction foreman. The cornfields in the center of the course were converted to fairways incorporating eight of the original greens in the new eighteen-hole layout and bunkers were built to guard every hole.
Located on the banks of the Neversink River, at the foot of the magnificent Shawangunk Mountains, in Port Jervis, NY, the Port Jervis Country Club offers 18 scenic holes of golf built around water hazards of oxbow ponds,
The course features rolling fairways and beautifully manicured tees, greens, and sand traps. The par 70, 6,224 yard-course is long enough to challenge the lowest of handicappers but, friendly enough for golfers of any skill level.