Golf at Island Hills started with an original nine-hole course laid out by Herbert Strong in 1915.
The course was redesigned by A.W. Tillinghast in 1927. It was considered at the time to be one of the toughest layouts on Long Island at 6500 plus yards and par 71. Tillinghast was noted for his natural style of architecture and the beauty of his golf courses. They are all challenging earning him the nickname Tilly the Terror. The Tillinghast redesign in 1927 was the centerpiece of a real estate development called Sayville Estates that failed during the 1929 crash.
The club was abandoned during World War II and was used by the United States Army for military exercises. The course was resurrected after the war. The club was reformed in 1953 by a group of golfers from Bethpage who wanted to start a club on the South Shore with an unrestricted membership.
Island Hills Golf Club is a par-71 challenge that measures 6,471 yards from the longest tees. The course rating is 71.2 with a slope rating of 122.
The Island Hills Golf Course was designed with the intermediate golfer in mind. The fairways are tree lined, but generous, and the small greens are fast. Water hazards (ponds) come into play several times. Caddies are mandatory if you choose to walk the course.