Oregon/Coos Bay/
Coos Country Club
logo image

Coos Country Club

93884 Coos Summer Ln, Coos Bay,Oregon,97420
Type: Semi-Private, open to the public
No. Holes: 18
Detailed description

Coos Country Club, is a Semi-Private, open to the public, 18 hole golf course located in Coos Bay, Oregon.

Coos Country Club first opened for play in 1923 with a nine holes The course was designed by H. Chandler Egan.

Egan's Coos design quickly became known as "the best nine hole course in Oregon." The founders' theme was "recreation in natural terrain," and today that theme carries forward into a beautifully developed 105 acre, forested facility nestled in hills and meadow lands. Development of the first nine led to the discovery of Coos' naturally growing Seaside Creeping Bent Grass which became internationally known and the seeds in demand due to its spreading growth with interlocking blades, forming flawless turf.

The Club first attempted to purchase adjacent property for an additional nine holes in 1963, and completed the acquisition in 1987. Ten years later a dream became reality with the construction of Bill Robinson's design for the new nine, which maintains the character of the original course.

The "New 9" opened on May 1, 1998 for play, commemorated the 75th Anniversary of Coos Country Club and represented a $1.4 million investment. A 20 acre "wetland habitat area" is integral to the new design where you can enjoy views of heron, wild geese and deer, as they make this new area their home.

Holes climb from the valley floor to surrounding hills. Good golf shots will be required for a good score, but not necessarily a "great score." The constant beauty, pleasure and challenges for a golfer always makes for a great day at Coos Country Club.

On June 6, 2001 the course was "reversed" or flip flopped with the new nine changed to play as the back and the "original" nine to play as the front.

Starting in 2006, a major capital improvement project was underway on the front nine. The former number one green was removed to combine number one and two into a new, 532-yard par five starting hole. The original number one green was one of two putting greens that dated back to the original construction of the course in 1923. Number nine green is the last of the original putting surfaces on the course.

Number seven, a former par three, was converted into a par 4 measuring 402 yards from the tips.

The largest endeavor of this project was the construction of number six, a new par three measuring 137 yards. The tee complex was built on the west side of the pond while the putting green was established on the opposite side of the water. The greens complex was constructed on a peninsula of the pond bank, very much bringing water into play. This green was constructed by USGA specifications and planted with L-93 Bentgrass.

Following the physical earth moving and shaping, areas of the cart paths that were not paved or in disrepair were paved with asphalt. By undertaking these capital improvement projects, the course was changed from a par 70 to par 72.

Blue tees, 6,392 yards, Rating:68.1, Slope: 124. White tees 5,928 yards, and Red tees 5,270 yards, Rating:70.8, Slope: 125.